Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sundaes and Cones

We started the evening by trying to go to Ippudo's for Ramen. It's supposed to be fantastic, which explains the 1hr 45 min wait for dinner at 6:30! I am so annoyed by places that don't take reservations and have those kinds of waits but I can't help but be intrigued by a place that can consistently command such large crowds. We'll make it there one day even if we do have to show up at 5PM. In any case, I was starving, and Praveen and Ankur know it's best to get me fed quickly when I'm heading down that path so we went across the street to Spice for some satisfying if uninspired Thai food. There are about five on these in the city and I pass them all the time. The food is solid, there's nothing on the menu you haven't seen before though. One interesting note is that every item on the menu is accompanied by a picture of said item, it almost feels like you're at an upscale Asian diner. We shared the Pra Ram, Sweet Basil Chicken, and spicy ginger noodles. I'm glad we skipped dessert here and opted for Sundaes and Cones instead. This charming ice cream shop a short walk away from Ippudo had some really delicious, creamy, and interesting ice cream. Similarly to Chinatown Ice Cream Factory, Sundaes and Cones offers up some pretty unique flavors including Red Bean, Honey Ginger, Lychee, Green Tea, and the most interesting that I sampled, Wasabi. It actually tastes like wasabi and causes that familiar burn in your sinuses but is cool and refreshing at the same time! I don't think I could eat a whole scoop though. The rest of the "normal" flavors are just as good, all creamy and rich with bits of whole fruit or chocolate to add texture. Just the way ice cream should be. The sweetest part of the evening; however, came when Duke slaughtered UNC. We watched the game with some old college buddies at Brother Jimmy's and there's nothing like a good whooping of UNC to really make you feel good.

3 comments:

  1. I need to introduce you to a little something called the food court. There is not a food on this planet worth waiting an hour and 45 minutes for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a good minute since I've posted a comment. Your entries me make so hungry. This sound delicious...all of it...even the uninspired thai.

    ReplyDelete