Sunday, October 4, 2009

Saigon Bakery/Chinatown Ice Cream Factory


One thing I know always holds true: when Bindu and Suraj come to town there will be lots of eating. On this particular visit, we weaved our way through the city doing some truly marathon level eating. Having enjoyed a rich meal the night before at Pearl Oyster Bar, I wanted to introduce my sister and brother-in-law to some truly authentic "fast food" in Chinatown. My friend Mabel first told me about Saigon Bakery and I must say I've found no better Banh Mi in the city. The entrance to the restaurant is actually a jewelry store, but if you make your way to the back, you will find a small counter where you can order any of about ten different types of Banh Mi. What makes these sandwiches so excellent is how well all the individual ingredients work together. From the flaky, chewy bread to the sweet glazed pork to the pickled, julienned vegetables all topped off with fresh cilantro and jalapenos. The $3.75 price tag for a sandwich that feeds two only sweetens the deal.
Never one to be satisfied without dessert, Bindu suggested a trip down the street to the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory. This little shop always manages to make it's way on to NYC top ten lists but I've never been overly impressed. We all shared two scoops - lychee and green tea. While I enjoyed the chunks of fresh lychee, I found the green tea a little too creamy for my taste.

1 comment:

  1. that guy on the left in the top picture is pretty funny looking

    ReplyDelete